Credit Union History
Firstmark Credit Union (Formerly San Antonio Teachers Credit Union) is a member-owned, locally controlled not-for-profit financial cooperative. It was chartered in 1932, giving it the honor of being the oldest state-chartered credit union in San Antonio, Texas.
Firstmark Credit Union held its first official Board Meeting on December 7, 1932 and its first annual meeting on January 14, 1933.
|Original Board (10 Members)||Original Subscribers to Capital Stock - Charter Members|
|Ida Mae Murray – President||William G. Behrens|
|Berta George – Vice President||Bert A. Edgar|
|Thomas W. Philibert- Treasurer||Berta George|
|William G. Behrens||W. J. Knox|
|Bert A. Edgar||Louise Lancaster|
|W.J. Knox||Ida Mae Murray|
|Louise Lancaster||Elma A. Neal|
|Elma A. Neal||Thomas W. Philibert|
|J. M. Smith||J. M. Smith|
|Fidel L. Tafolla||Fidel L. Tafolla|
|Total of Members as of 12/31/1932||40|
|Total Assets as of 12/31/1932||$475.00|
|Total Loans as of 12/31/1932||$300.00|
|Total Number of Borrowers||5|
|Initial Member Account Number Assignments|
|December 10, 1932|
|Account #1||Blanche Hosea|
|Account #2||Mrs. Willie V. Smith|
|Account #3||Arthur L. Harris|
|Account #4||Kate Colding|
|Account #5||Theresa Terrell|
|May 21, 1932|
|Account #6||Mrs. Bennie Crowther|
|Account #7||Viola Moore|
|Account #8||Herman Hirsch|
|Account #9||William T. Behrens|
|Account #10||Minnie Blumberg|
The Credit Union was first located at Fox Tech High School until 1947 when it moved to the San Antonio Teachers Council on Adams Street. Those facilities were outgrown in 1966 and the office was moved to 303 South Santa Rosa Street in downtown San Antonio where it remained for fourteen years. Then, in May 1980, the move to the location at 10730 Gulfdale took place.
The Credit Union's first branch office opened in July 1986 on the city's southside at 2327 S. W. Military Drive. Other branch locations include: the Culebra Branch (July 1989) at 7200 Culebra Road, the Huebner Branch (July 1992) at 8960 Huebner Road, the Mission Road Branch (January 1995) at 1440 S. E. Military Drive, the Jefferson Branch (December 1997) at 122 Donaldson and the Bandera Branch (August 2007) at 8826 Bandera Rd. In January 2003, we constructed a new building at 2023 Gold Canyon that is now home to our corporate headquarters and Gold Canyon Branch.
The Credit Union now serves the financial needs of anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school in, and businesses located in Bexar County, as well as education-related employees and students in Bexar County and the 12 surrounding counties; and their relatives.
Firstmark Credit Union has operated continuously since 1932 and we have endeavored to serve everyone in our field of membership with prompt, efficient and personal service.
Because of our efforts to provide dependable, courteous service, the Credit Union has established long-term relationships with loyal members who depend on the Credit Union to fulfill their financial services needs.